Tuesday, December 22, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

"A prison cell, in which one waits, hopes... and is completely dependent on the fact that the door of freedom has to be opened from the outside, is not a bad picture of Advent." (Dietrich Bonhoeffer)

We have been a bit slow on the Christmas preparations around here. There were final papers to write (for Ed) and lots of final papers to grade (for both of us). In the midst of the end-of-the-semester madness, we also have had to deal with Sam have a major reversion on his sleep progress. It's been exhausting.

Little by little, I've put up some decorations, but it wasn't until Friday--yes, less than a week before Christmas--that we finally made the trip (to Home Depot, I admit) to get our tree. Sam helped pick out this Blue Spruce for $24.95.

Ed did the all-important straightening adjustments at home.

Sunday we finally decorated it. I carefully sorted through all my silver, gold and crystal ornaments and packed them away for about 10 years. Instead we decorated with every old and unbreakable ornament I had. It's a mish-mash, but it looks festive--and I don't have to freak out every time Sam plucks an ornament off the tree, which he did a lot at first, but a little less so now that we've blocked it off.

Once finals were done, we started trying to catch up with friends. I was happy to use a vintage tablecloth for a simple supper of quiche and Tom & Jerrys with our former neighbors. (At the condo we didn't have a dining room table.)

* It turns out I've used this title before. I guess after three years, you run out of clever titles.

1 comment:

Di said...

Happy Christmas to you all! The tree looks lovely and I hope Sam enjoys it all! To a fantastic 2010!